As Christmas is fast approaching, now is the time to start considering the impact the ’silly season’ may have on your IT environment.
Each year in December, Total Network Support sends out a checklist to assist our clients in ensuring their systems are protected during this period, and even better, still running when work resumes in January.
- Make a complete verified backup of the entire server—Including system and program files as well as data. Make sure the tape is readable by carrying out a test restore of some non essential files near the end of the tape.
- Make a separate backup of your Finance/Accounting system—If your Finance/Accounting system has its own backup system, RUN that backup and make a copy. It’s worthwhile sending a copy of this backup to your accountant, just in case.
- Make sure someone takes the backup tape/disk off-site—Ensure they don’t carry it next to their mobile phone (which emits enough radiation to corrupt your backup tape) or exposed to sunlight or high temperatures in the back of the car.
- Modify your daily backup routine - As there will probably be no-one at your office to change daily backup tapes, we recommend you create a new backup routine to run a full backup each day, overwriting the previous day’s backup. Make sure the tape drive is set to NOT eject the tape after each backup.
- Minimise the chances of power failures crashing your server —Ensure your Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) has sufficient capacity to keep your server running in the event of a power failure or “brown-out”. (If you are uncertain, please call Total Network Support.)
- Check your Server/s hard disks, are they nearly full? Additional email over the closure could cause a server crash if the disks fill up.
- Mail Server logs— If your Mail Server isn’t backed up for an extended period, the logs will continue to be generated, and could well cause your server drive to fill up, with a con sequent crash.
- Ensure all workstations are shut down and switched off at the power points. LEAVE THE SERVER, SWITCHES AND ROUTERS RUNNING.
LEAVE YOUR SERVER, SWITCHES AND ROUTERS RUNNING
If you are uncertain of what you need to do to follow these suggestions, please call TNS for assistance.
TNS will be open as usual over the holiday period, and will also be providing 24 x 7 support where required. Should you require any emergency assistance please contact us on 03 9682 9300 or 1300 TNS TNS